An American “Terrorist” in London

Home / Palestine / An American “Terrorist” in London

Welcome to Orwell’s ‘1984’ ladies and gentlemen, where black is white, white is black, and the truth is nothing but a word.  My 1984 reality is culminating with the United States and Israeli Governments treating me and/or charging me with being a “terrorist”.  Americans worry not, you can sleep better at night knowing your “homeland” is being defended from the likes of me.  And Israel, rest easy as well, it’s Ken O’Keefe and his Arab collaborators who are in the Mossad crosshairs.

All kidding aside, I am a family man, with a beautiful family, a loving wife and baby boy, a boy who will be the biggest victim if his father is no longer in his life.

How did I get here?  Well my life is an open book, and one chapter includes meeting with people who resist war and occupation, but the idea that I would be involved in violence beyond self-defense is absurd.  The character witnesses who truly know me will come out in force if ever I am locked up for conspiracy to commit a terrorist act.  The real reason why I have been named by Israel as ‘operative of the Hamas Terror organization’ is that I speak and defend the truth, and more importantly, I act on it.  The truth is that Hamas and every other government, group or individual does what just about any of us would do if we were oppressed and violated in the ways that are inherent in war/occupation.  We would resist.

I say to every red blooded American, every European, every human, if someone came into your home, threatened your family, imprisons and even kills your family what would you do?  I do not care if every westerner of any station is afraid to say it, it is part of my purpose in life to say it, I would fight.  In fact I would kill before I would allow my family to be harmed.  I would fight to the death.

I say to my American brothers and sisters in particular, can you not see that the Iraqis, the Afghanis and the Palestinians are people?  They are mothers and fathers, uncles and aunts, brothers and sisters and sons and daughters.  They love their family every bit as much as you.  Imagine that you were in their shoes, would you be passive?  Would you sit by and watch your wife and child being violated?  Or would you fight?

I want every reader of this article to come on a journey with me. We are in our home, we are brothers, poor in terms of money but rich in our love of family, we love each other as brothers do.  Our wives are in the kitchen preparing food for our children.  We do our best, poor and impoverished, surrounded by war brought in the form of occupiers from half way around the world. The sound of rifle butts banging on the door shatters the semblance of peace.  You, my brother go to the door quickly, but not quickly enough. The door slams open and the soldiers from another land come storming in.

With weapons pointed at our heads, they shout orders which we believe tell us to put our hands on our heads and get down on our knees.  We are not sure, English is a language brought to us, not our mother tongue.  Our wives come to the room frightened, begging the soldiers to calm down for the sake of the children in the other room.  The soldiers respond by shouting at our wives and pushing my wife to the ground with their assault rifles.  Our hearts are racing, our manhood is being crushed, and we wonder if we are men at all.

The shouting and the chaos increases. Next comes the sound of your baby girl, you hear her crying for her mother, you imagine the look of her, terrified.  Thinking of your little baby girl tears begin to fall from your face. You look to your wife; she is now on the ground bleeding from where the rifle butt slammed into her head.  In the chaos you do not even know when this happened.  The soldiers begin throwing all that we own everywhere, overturning furniture, throwing papers and family items to the ground and breaking dishes.  They ransack while one demands to know our names.  As soon as I say my name they grab me and take me into the next room, the room between you and our children.  They begin to beat me, mercilessly.  They are shouting at me, but you do not know what they are saying.

Now all the children are crying frantically, the soldiers keep yelling, and you catch the word “terrorist”.  You realize that they are calling me, your brother who you have known your whole life, a “terrorist”.  I plead with them to stop the beating, blood drenching every inch of my face, for the sake of the children, who are by now screaming, crying and begging for mom and dad, I beg. All you can think to do is nothing, you are paralyzed, and eventually the soldiers take me away… You will never hear from me again.

Your children are alive, for now, and your wife will survive, but she is scarred. Your sister-in-law is without her husband, you are without your brother, your parents are without their son and the children are without a father.  You find out later that “someone” gave your brother’s name to the soldiers as a “terrorist”, probably while being tortured.  And that is the end of that, someone who you do not know accuses the brother you know through and through, and lives are shattered.

And so you ponder, do I do nothing or do I resist?

This is a scenario of war/occupation, it is not extreme, it is inherent.  Indeed we could include scenarios where woman, wives and daughters are raped in front of husbands and fathers.  You think Americans do not do this, you are wrong.  War makes everyone crazy; the question is to what degree?  Insanity is inherent in war, the folly of chanting the “Support the troops!” slogan while sending them off to bullshit wars could not be more stark.

And so I ask, if you came from the lands we invade, would you fight?  And if you did, would you see yourself as a “terrorist”?  Or a man?

And if you did not fight, would you see yourself as noble?  Or a coward?

I do not intend to pass judgment, but I would fight.  I would fight because I know I would rot from the inside out if I did not.  As far as I am concerned, I feel nothing but kinship, love and respect for my brothers and sisters who resist, I see myself in them.

It pains me deeply to know that we, western hypocrites and citizens of morally bankrupt states are the root of the problem.  We are the terrorists, us. Our entire society should face charges for crimes against humanity for our use of DU, white phosphorous, cluster bombs, etc.  We should pay massive reparations and beg forgiveness for the sake of a better future world.  We claim to live in democracies, therefore we are responsible.  Rather than face up to it, we remain delusional and insane, functionally insane, pretending as if we are “civilized”.  We are barbaric, and not just Americans, Europeans as well.  We do not have a monopoly on barbarity, but we have far more than our fair share.

When Gandhi was asked what he thought of western civilization he replied by saying, “I think it would be a good idea.”

Exactly.

I will not abandon my brothers and sisters who resist war and occupation.  By being labeled a “terrorist” myself, I join you, falsely accused and persecuted, the Arabs, the Muslims, Nelson Mandela, the African National Congress, the Founding Fathers of America, the eco-warriors, the people of conscience past and present.  And so be it, I am a terrorist in the eyes of the American and Canadian Government who puts me on their so-called “terror watch list”.  I am a terrorist because Israel issues press releases stating I am a “operative of Hamas” on a mission to “form and train a commando unit for the Palestinian terror organization” in Gaza; in this world of Orwellian doublespeak I am honoured, truly honoured.  The lies and depravity are oozing from you like puss from an infection of greed and power gone mad.  In response I shall draw the proverbial line in the sand, those accusing and threatening me on the one side, those with me on the other side.  And here is what ‘WE THE PEOPLE’ stand for;

1. Breaking of the blockade of Gaza and Palestine 100%.
  2. Ending imperialism, occupation and war and thus the need for violent resistance.
  3. Ending of all forms of terrorism, with immediate emphasis on the state sponsored terrorism that is conducted with our taxes and in our name.
  4. Replacing the war tax system with a humanity tax system.
  5. Replacing institutionalized indoctrination with genuine education.
  6. Rendering corporate media propaganda completely impotent.
  7. Replacing the colour of law with justice based law.
  8. Embracing sustainable living and respect for nature in every way.
  9. Absolute respect for human rights for all people, without exception.

10. The “Golden Rule”, to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.

11.  The way of a world citizen whose ultimate allegiance is to his entire human family and to planet Earth.

There you have it, if I am to be a “terrorist” then that is the brand I endorse.  And now, I’m looking for a ship and a flotilla to go to Gaza, and I look to do it pretty soon.  Who would like to join me?

TJP

Comments(32)

• Connor O'Brien
    July 6, 2010, 4:23 am

hail! hail! Ken!! TAL!! from one “terrorist” to another. Welcome to the club of being marked and branded when you’re speaking out on the truth, bleeding for your land, pushing to educate the truth and causes abroad and from the opposing country and their allies, we’re marked terrorists. I’m proud to stand by your side, brother! Slainte

• August 26, 2010, 11:42 am

Honoured.

• Covkid
    July 6, 2010, 12:56 pm

That was beautifully written Ken. For those of us who possess a moral conscience it is music to our ears.It’s plain,simple unadulterated logic to achieving a sincere humanitarian approach for a better world.
    As an Englishman i welcome you to our shores!
    And yes ,i would consider it an honour to sail on the next flotilla with you and all the brothers and sisters.Count me in!!
    You have my e-mail address …use it.

Respects

Covkid

• July 6, 2010, 1:58 pm

Thank you my brother, I will do my job trying to raise the money for one hell of a ship for the next flotilla.
    TJP

• EcoMatt
      July 7, 2010, 8:35 pm

Dear Ken,
      I found your website for the first time this morning. After lying in bed awake between 3am and 5am for the upteenth time I hopped out of bed, switched on my laptop and found you, what a bloody relief. I too served in the ’91 Gulf War as a member of the Royal Australian Navy before subsequent active duty over the successive 2 years. I have been mostly lost since 1993 although am pleased to share that my conscious shift took an upward turn around 11 months ago. In essence I resonate completely with your fundamental values of us ALL becoming World Citizens and would like to speak with you further about what value I can bring. Looking forward to hearing from you. With Respect

• August 26, 2010, 11:37 am

Let us use our experience to increase consciousness.
        TJP

• T
    July 6, 2010, 8:26 pm

I’ll put a link on my page to your You Tube page and this blog. Creative global non-violent networking :)….

• July 6, 2010, 9:30 pm

You are inspiration to me, Ken. I admire you greatly!

Stay safe brotha!

• Wiliki Kiwila
    July 7, 2010, 8:31 am

Well written Ken. When will you return to the Land of Aloha? I’d like to meet you.

• August 26, 2010, 11:40 am

My adopted homeland of Hawaii, I cannot wait to retire in a better world with my home in a free Hawaii. If I return before then I would also be very happy to meet.

• tessa1970
    July 7, 2010, 10:28 pm

well if everyone has the right to defend themselves in the way you describe, wouldnt israilis have the right to defend themslelves?

i see you are a fan of Hamas. I understand they call for the destruction of israil and all jews.

are jews not people? how do you feel about that? do you welcome that call for genocide or do you oppose it?

• August 26, 2010, 11:36 am

You must look beyond what is being spoonfed to you sister. If Hamas was doing to Israel what Israel is doing to the PEOPLE of palestine, I would be with you. Hamas was democratically elected, either you believe in democracy or you do not. Hamas has offered more than one truce and actually maintained them, until Israel broke it in November/December 2008. The blockade is inhuman, it subjects 800,000 children to horrendous conditions, it is morally and legally indefencible. Look deeper sister.

• July 8, 2010, 12:17 am

keep on keeping on. you’re a clear voice in this insanity. thank you! best wishes to you and family.

• Flemming larsen
    July 10, 2010, 7:03 pm

Dear ken your truly a human being of honor !
    I will stand by your shoulder any day ! Just ask and i will be there !

sincerly
    flemming larsen
    your brother

• Michael
    July 13, 2010, 11:59 am

Ken,
    I’m so pleased you have this web presence. I wanted to thank you so much for your Hard Talk interview. You handled it brilliantly. At last, I thought, here is a voice not only for peace. But equally filled with commitment to effectiveness. A very needed combination. Sure we are all Brothers and Sisters together, but there’s such a power in you for passionate articulation I wouldn’t be surprised if we see you more playing the role of media speaker in the years to come. Your choice but you’ll be damned good at it. I hope to join you on a flotilla one day.
    Please be aware, that on the day of the Mamara killings, I held a one man vigil outside the Israeli Embassy in Kathmandu. Well it started as just me, but one by one Nepalese people joined me and at the end it was 300. What was amazing was that Nepal has been through it’s own upheavals and traumas for some years. Yet these beautiful people took their own time to stand in togetherness for what to them is a far away place, Palestine. The key thing here was the feeling of global family and it’s empathy. Even when soldiers were sent to check us out, a little hostile at first. They were so quick to understand, saluted us and even did a Puja (cleansing ritual) to honour the Mamara deceased. Although they were sent to police us, they quickly saw the abusive Israelis were the problem and much to their angst. Cleared the streets of Israelis and offered us protection.
    Ken, I offer this story as testament to the beautiful unity of the human spirit. While those IDF dudes were causing you and your people so much grief that morning. Nepalese people were shedding tears and standing in oneness with you and your people and, of course for Palestine.
    Thanks for setting up this blog Ken. I’ll be looking forward to reading your thoughts in the future and to finding inspiring ways to bring effectiveness to peaceful struggle.

Warm Wishes

• August 26, 2010, 11:30 am

Really beautiful story Michael. I mean it when I say I feel what your story says, there is a deep yearning amongst the people of our world for something better, something just. Peace will only come from this and we can effect the change we seek, it merely requires us to unite in meaningful ways and with common purpose. We can and will.
      TJP

• Aisha Aijaz
    July 13, 2010, 12:00 pm

Ken, your hardtalk interview and your article has given such a hope to all of us, Its so encouraging to see a person who is an American, a former US marine,not only spreading the truth but actually fighting for it so courageously. Your words give me goosebumps and make me tearful. I love when u call the oppressed, your brothers and sisters..Just wonder who would define the word terrorist.. What an unjust and extremely biased world we are living in… I pray to Allah to protect you.. We are all with you…

• August 26, 2010, 11:27 am

TJP my sister.

• Jasmin
    July 13, 2010, 6:35 pm

Kevin As Salam Alykum, Inshallah you may you succeed! War does not determine who is right – only who is left. May Allah bless the way of the righteous!

Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace. ~Charles Sumner

My brother “It’ll be a great day when education gets all the money it wants and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy bombers. ” Inshallah

• August 26, 2010, 11:26 am

Brilliant!

• Arsalan
    July 14, 2010, 4:56 pm

Really made me cry. Heartbreaking to see such atrocities bieng commited on behalf of the “western,civilized,democratic” world.
    and truely, we are all to be blamed. we allowe such things to happen without raising our voices on any platform, be it websites or peaceful protests. we are too consumed in our comfortable lives, but its just a matter of time before we would be the target. for Being Muslim is our biggest crime in their eyes.
    We will fight, my bro. i am with you!

• July 15, 2010, 10:23 am

my pray for all of you brothers… thanks 4 writing this… we reshare your article in our facebook pages… wish more people will read it…

• Colin
    July 16, 2010, 7:36 am

you save turtles, help children, disarm israeli terrorists,
    I sometimes think that if there is a god- your on the top 20 favorites list for sure. Where do you get your bravery? I see your confidence- I’m sure it has helped you get out of bad situations. Israel could have set you up as a murderer by killing one of their own flotilla raiders and blaming it on you- what do you pray/tell yourself that helps you get out of those bad sitatuations? Or is it luck of the Irish? God bless man, I’m on a mission to make sure everyone I know, knows about you and your good fight, I admit that I tell them you are the modern incarnation of Jesus- forgive me, I’m not religious, but I’m pretty sure you are,,,

all the best!

• August 26, 2010, 11:20 am

Thank you brother, but truth be told I am simply a man who has been given all the love that any child/person requires, along with the freedom to be who I truly am. As a result I have been immensely blessed and I do my best to give back in any way I can. I am convinced that any person is capable of great things so long as they have the basic needs of love, security, and freedom, especially freedom from the indoctrination methods that are global and terribly destructive. Most never break free for it… thus far that is, but they will. I see a better world and I know that I am not alone in that vision.
      TJP

• AmBu
    July 17, 2010, 12:51 pm

All humanity is a brotherhood and share same general characteristics. Why would one group claim any act to be doable to others while not allowable for themselves. I agree with the you viewpoint Ken. Salutes!

• Ahad Shafqat
    July 22, 2010, 6:18 am

All i will say is sir, I am with you on the next flotilla.

• BMaz
    July 27, 2010, 4:15 pm

how can i give money for this flotilla?

• Sheheryar
    August 5, 2010, 12:43 pm

Wonderfully explained!! i wonder why not other people can see this as well??!!
    Keep up the good work brother! So many of us look upto you for strength and support!!

• Colin R.
    August 27, 2010, 1:22 am

I demand we write letters to the state department urging them to retract all statements alleging ken okeefe is a terrorist. we demand that they recognize his work for peace and if they continue to label him so, will be taken to the international court for slander, libel and criminal conspiracy. please write your government officials, he is a man of peace, they have no evidence, and they had better take judicial notice of this fact- or they would be labeled terrorists themselves,- please spread to all people you know- ken needs our help!!!

• August 27, 2010, 10:47 am

Thank you brother, it is of course beyond unjust to label myself a “terrorist” given that my life is dedicated to non-violent resolution of conflict by exposing truth and working for justice. But we do live in George Orwell’s ‘1984’ and I have simply joined those falsely accused from around the globe, most of course being Arabs and Muslims. My personal injustice is indicative of the greater crime in which America and other nations hold people in torture chambers with no due process and no proof. All the worse the biggest terrorists, the states that sponsor and carry out terror, are the ones doing the accusing and torturing. White is black, black is white, the truth is nothing but a word… unless we change it. For our children and future generations sake I certainly hope we do just that.
      TJP